11/13/2010

Winter Melon with Kampung Chicken Soup

Sorry to all blogger friend for not being around for such a long time.  I was fall sick and my health condition really not allows me to blogging. Cannot post any recipe for some time because I was really lost my appetite and very difficult to get into the kitchen and cooking.  Thankfully, I finally recover from loss of appetite but still unable to consume foods that are fried and spicy. At the moment, I'm more to soup dish that is simple but still full of nutrients.

My recipe for today is the winter melon with kampung chicken soup.  Winter melon also known as gorouk or guronsom by KadazanDusun.  Winter melon is a fairly big round fruit with dark green skin. Sometimes there is also a kind of long and oval fruit.  It looks like a water melon but is actually a squash. The hard, thin, mid-green skin has a waxy feel and a whitish tinge. The mildly flavored white flesh has the texture of watermelon but it not sweet. It’s high in vitamin A and vitamin C.

Winter melon has a little taste but cooking it with kampung chicken meat will make it more flavorful.  This soup is simple and relatively quick to prepare.



Ingredients:
  1. 1 liter of water
  2. 1 whole winter melon
  3. 1 whole kampung chicken
  4. 3 inc ginger
  5. 1/2 cup of lihing (KadazanDusun rice wine)
  6. salt to taste
  7. finely chopped spring onion to garnish
Method:
  • Scrub the winter melon skin to remove the waxy and a whitish tinge. Remove seeds and cut into middle-sized chunks.
  • Clean, cut and drain chicken.
  • Remove ginger skin and slice.
  • Bring water to boil in a large pot. Add chicken and sliced ginger. Cook for about 15 minutes.
  • Add in winter melon, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
  • Pour in lihing and add salt to taste. Simmer for another 15 minutes.
  • Garnish with spring onion and serve.


This is really a healthy soup that tastes light, cleansing, and satisfying at the same time.  I finish two bowls for myself.  I serve my first bowl of soup as congee. Mix it with a scoop of plain rice.


I put some "jeruk bambangan" for my second bowl.  Do not be surprised if you sweat a lot... because this juicy, velvety winter melon soup really can detoxify your body.

9 comments:

Sumandak Kinabalu

OMG! This is my favorite soup...
As for me, I add some chillies and lemon into the soup..

kitchen flavours

Hope you are feeling better. There's nothing like a delicious bowl of hot soup to strengthen the body! This soup looks delicious!

AloyCia

Hi Sumandak Kinabalu,
Thanks for stop by...
That's how we KadazanDusun enjoying our favorite soup ... adds some chili and lime juice will give another wonderful flavor to the soup.

Umbalai pogi kua’an jeruk bambangan nga asadap tomod moti :)

AloyCia

Hi KF,
Thanks for your visit...
I’m feeling better now but still can't consume fried foods... the sickness really affects my taste buds...
Although it’s a ‘down to earth’ soup yet it’s full of goodness... you're right... it’s really strengthen my body

CathJ

I hope you recover soon.. :D

Tapunnnn.... tapunnnn.... I love the soup... tambah2 lagi add bambangan...

Tapunnnn.... mana lah mau cari bambangan di klni... -_-

hihihi.. take care..

AloyCia

Hi CathJ,
Thanks for stop by & thanks for your concern; I'm getting better now...

Tapun2... nanti ko balik sabah angkut jeruk bambangan banyak2 bawa p kl bah... hehehe...

Jetsetters Clothing

this is delicious! u are makin me hungry! hahahah :D one of my favourtie dishes.

Del Glamiva

Thanks for sharing the recipe! Looks delicious and healthy!

AloyCia

Hi Jesse Jeremy & Del Glamiva,
Thanks for your visit :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Member Of

Award

Award
Happy 101 Blog Award

Simply Delicious Easy Cooking   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP